David Michael Farrell (born on February 8 1977), more commonly known as Phoenix, is the bassist for the alternative rock band Linkin Park.
Farrell was born in Plymouth, Massachusetts but later moved to Mission Viejo, California when he was five. He attended Mission Viejo High School. He also graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1999. He is adept at playing the bass guitar, electric guitar, cello and violin. He has also been known to play an upright bass at some concerts.
Farrell was a member of a Christian ska/Christian punk band known as Tasty Snax. While attending college, he would practice with Brad Delson in their dorm room together. However, because he had to play and tour with the Tasty Snax, he could not play with Brad Delson and his band, which would become Linkin Park. After changing their name to Snax, Farrell began playing bass guitar in the band before leaving once again to join Linkin Park full-time to play bass. Farrell's fellow band mate Mark Fiore became Linkin Park's videographer. As described in the inlay for Reanimation he uses an Ernie Ball MusicMan Bass.
Farrell has cited his influences as being his mother and his brother, Joe, as well as Weezer, The Beatles, the Deftones, The Roots, Bob Marley, Sarah McLachlan, Hughes & Wagner and Harrod & Funck.
He has been married to Linsey Farrell since December 28, 2002, and, in 2007, he became a father. He has two brothers, his older brother, Joe, and his younger brother, Tyler.
Dave has three children. Regan was born March 29, 2007 and a second daughter born late December 2008.
- Fitting to his nickname, Phoenix, he has two phoenix tattoos on his back.
- On the 'Making of Minutes to Midnight,' Dave Farrell is seen using Fender Precision Basses.
- Phoenix is rumored to be dabbling in the culinary arts. He is currently doing a tri-tip internship under master barbecuer Jason Felix.
- He does the backing vocals live to the song "The Little Things Give You Away".
- In addition to Mike and Chester's vocals, Phoenix also provides backing vocals for the song "Hands Held High" when performed live.
- Dave has gone out and performed, had his member guest show and does interviews post Chester's death.